Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Interrobang

I pledge to use this amazing punctuation.

"What‽ Can you do that‽"

Yes I can - assuming it shows up in browsers, I'll definitely use it here. As for my job...

As a reality Script Supervisor, I'm focused on organization and efficiency. Even if I can get this thing functioning without screwing up scripts as they move from computer to computer, probably not. I don't have time to dig through wingding fonts every time its use would be accurate. Plus, executives fear the unusual, and the work I do should appear transparent to them, so it depends on whether or not the executives will ever actually look at the scripts. Finally, I don't want to confuse any "talent" doing voiceovers.

Both The Chicago Manual of Style and my edition of Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage are quiet on the subject, so I'm going to take that as a sign it hasn't been trashed.

Thanks to J. "interrobang" for raising public awareness (any comments from a professional proofreader?). More info about this important punctuation can be found HERE. You can use it yourself with the code ‽ in HTML documents.

So, the test: please leave a comment and let me know if you can see this...



Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger interrobang said...

I can see all of them!

7:39 PM  
Blogger interrobang said...

Don't tell me it works in here, too‽

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home